Gab.ai is a new social network committed to free speech. The site promises to be free from censorship, and algorithm manipulation. A place where anyone can #SpeakFreely.
Though still in beta, the site just launched anti-harassment tools that are superior to Twitter & Facebook. While they won’t censor you, they will let you determine what content you see.
Who could benefit from a social network like this?
- People who’ve been to censored on other platforms
- People who’ve been harassed on other social networks and want better mute tools
- Bernie Sanders supporters who don’t want pro-Hillary algorithm manipulation
- Activists like Intactivists who don’t want to be censored for discussing taboo topics
- Moms who want to share breastfeeding photos without censorship
- Artists & businesses that want to reach their all fans without paying
- Anyone who holds controversial opinions
- Anyone who wants a social network where they can hear controversial opinions
Most of the current userbase comes from the group that feels most affected by social media censorship: Trump supporters – but that could change. If any community in the above list adopts Gab as their social media of choice they have the potential to rise through the network and become influencers.
Every successful social media platform has produced stars – YouTube, Twitter, Vine. Gab as the same potential. Growing a social network is a long-term move. Twitter was laughed at (“What can you say in 140 characters?”) till it became the dominant influencer in politics and elections. Gab may take years to grow its audience, but if we can get a social network committed to free speech, it’ll be worth it.
I’d encourage you to sign-up for the beta, and get your community to do the same. If you have a cause or group that isn’t given enough attention by the mainstream, this is an opportunity.
P.S. If you like free speech and controversy, you may also like my current documentary project.