In this episode, a mother and son discuss circumcision.
Carter Steinhoff feels harmed by circumcision, reached out to me to facilitate a discussion between him and his mom, Tiphani. His mother recognizes the harm of circumcision and wants to find a way to create a safe relationship with her son.
This is an emotionally challenging discussion, but an important one.
In This Episode:
- [00:44] Brendon thanks Carter and Mom for their bravery to have this conversation.
- [01:56] Carter shares his initial feelings.
- [05:50] Tiphani shares her initial feelings.
- [09:00] Tiphani shares how she became confident to have this conversation with people.
- [13:20] Regret parents and the need for healing resources for parents.
- [15:05] Carter shares his feelings toward his parents and the series of events that led him to have those emotions.
- [18:20] Carter on the impact circumcision has had on his life.
- [26:19] Tiphani responds, validates Carter’s feelings, and shares her own.
- [30:25] Carter on wanting others to acknowledge his experience and the impact of circumcision on sexuality.
- [35:45] Carter and Tiphani on what they need from each other, and the only way to go forward.
- [41:50] Tiphani and Carter clarify their needs.
- [47:40] Carter on wanting his mom to work with him.
- [52:17] The challenge of acknowledging love even when we feel suffering or harm.
- [54:10] Carter on the changes he wants on the issue of circumcision and reasons he wants his mother involved in activism.
- [01:01:20] Carter thanks his mother for her willingness to have the conversation. Tiphani says she is proud of him.
Download this one show.
- Subscribe and support the show directly:
- Show RSS feed: